‘SLICES’ are Tristan Eaton’s Fine Art Print project exploring the nature of currency in our culture. “I wanted to make art that acts like money and money that looks like art. At the same time I wanted to give my community of collectors a fun way to have fractional ownership of my work via experimental print making.” - Tristan Eaton
There are some things you should know about what it means to own a ‘SLICE’ and how this project works. Please read below and join the club!!
EDITION: 1000pcs (only 750 available as singles)
MEDIUM: Each Slice is 7.25” x 3” giclee print on Entrada 290 GSM Archival Cotton Rag Paper, featuring holographic foil, spray stencil, laser cutting, invisible UV ink, gold embossed seal, a unique serial number and artist signature.
No limit per customer
This project is inspired by the now defunct ‘Gold Standard’ but in this case, our currency represents an actual painting instead of a pile of gold at Fort Knox. Overall, this project is an egalitarian social experiment in Fine Art Printmaking, created to encourage community building within Eaton’s community of collectors. This is not meant to be taken too seriously, and it should be a lot of fun for those taking part. Here’s how it works:
1. Tristan Eaton made a 96” x 48” painting entitled “Apocalipstick 2022”. The painting will be insured, kept in safe storage and will not be sold any time prior to January 1, 2028 (i.e. 5 years from launch).
2. Tristan Eaton & Dead Press had the painting professionally appraised by Ronnie K. Pirovino, a member of the International Society of Appraisers. The current appraised value is $75,000. This is the appraiser’s independent, unbiased and professional assessment of the painting’s value.
3. Tristan Eaton & Dead Press made 1000 small, limited edition fine art prints (SLICES), each representing 1/1000th of that painting.
Eaton then sold the SLICES, essentially fractionalizing the ownership of that work of art. Each SLICE will initially sell for $75.
4. USING YOUR SLICE: While we hope you enjoy your SLICE for its inherent artistic value, SLICES can also be used to trade with Tristan Eaton and his publishing company, Dead Press. As an owner, you will be invited to trade for designated art products at certain in-person events. (These events will be relentlessly promoted on social media, so you’ll be sure to know when and where they take place). The trade-in value will be based on your quantity of SLICES and the most recently posted appraised value. For example, currently if you trade in 4 SLICES, you’ll be entitled to $300 of art products (i.e. 4 x $75 = $300).
5. Eaton will have the painting re-appraised at least once a year, and the appraised value will be posted publicly. As the value of the painting changes (hopefully it rises), so should the value of the art SLICES.
6. Any collector who owns SLICES equal to 10% or more of the then-appraised value of the painting obtains the privilege of visiting the painting (shown personally by Eaton).
7. Any collector who obtains 85% of all the SLICES can exchange them for the actual painting.
8. The painting will be kept in climate-controlled storage. However, Eaton is entitled to display the work, loan it to museums or other cultural organizations and exploit the image, at his sole discretion.
9. Take good care of your SLICES. They must not be lost, altered, or damaged beyond normal wear & tear. In the event your SLICES are lost, altered, damaged, or destroyed, you must report it to Dead Press immediately so that appropriate action can be taken. No substitute SLICES will be issued. If we become aware that SLICES have been lost, altered, damaged, or destroyed, we shall be entitled to issue an equal number of new SLICES to the public.
10. When we accept SLICES in exchange for Tristan Eaton art products or Dead Press products, we shall be entitled to make the those SLICES available for public sale, thus returning them into circulation.
11. On December 31, 2027, your right to trade SLICES in exchange for Tristan Eaton art products or Dead Press products will expire. After expiration any trades will be made by our sole discretion.
12. SLICES are NOT currency, and they are NOT securities. They are simply limited edition, fine art prints with a cool story and some social perks. Let’s not make this too serious guys!
13. SLICES can be gifted and resold at owner’s discretion. If you regift or resell your SLICES, the new owner will be bound by these rules, terms and conditions.
14. Any form of copying, duplication or counterfeiting SLICES is not allowed and will constitute illegal copyright infringement.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. If you obtain the privilege of visiting the painting, you must contact Dead Press well in advance of your visit. Please let us know how many guests you would like to bring, and provide us with preferred visit dates & times. Our business activities often require travel outside California, so visiting privileges are subject to our reasonable availability. In addition, the visit must take place prior to December 31, 2027.
2. If you obtain 85% of the SLICES and wish to exchange them for the painting, you must do so prior to December 31, 2027. You will be responsible for (and pay for) removing the painting from our storage facility, packing, crating, shipping, customs, sales tax and insurance costs.
3. Absolutely no returns or cancellations of SLICES sales for any reason. Damages or losses to your SLICES via shipping must be reported immediately, must be documented, and will be discussed on a per case basis.
4. Ownership of one or more SLICES does not entitle you to: (a) possess, use, transfer, control or commercialize the Painting, (b) permit or prevent others from doing the same or (c) give you a security interest in the Painting. By purchasing one or more SLICES you acknowledge that Tristan Eaton (and his heirs, successors and assigns) has the sole right to possess, use, transfer, control or commercialize the Painting in his sole discretion, subject to these rules, terms and conditions. In the event of any dispute with respect to SLICES, Eaton (and his heirs, successors and assigns) shall have the exclusive right to determine how these rules, terms and conditions apply. Any decision he makes shall be final and definitive.
5. SLICES may only be used for barter / trade for in-house Tristan Eaton / Dead Press products. SLICES may not be used for barter or trade with Tristan Eaton art products involving third parties (e.g. brand collaborations etc). SLICES may only be traded with respect to future transactions. They may not be applied against any Tristan Eaton/Dead Press transactions that have already been commenced or completed.
6. These rules, terms & conditions are subject to US law and the laws of the state of California, and are subject to the exclusive
jurisdiction of the Federal and State courts located in Los Angeles County.